Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Reflections on Birth Order

Recently I've read a number of newspaper and magazine articles reporting studies on the importance of birth order. As I could have predicted, these studies show that first-born children are superior to their siblings in IQ, education, earning power, sense of responsibility, good looks, sense of humor,and so forth. Supposedly, first-born children gain their advantage because parents lavish so much more time and attention on them as opposed to the siblings who come later. Being a first-born myself, I felt both vindicated and humbled by my position.

Then I started thinking about the possible effects of birth order in my own family. Big mistake. Now everything's all complicated and confusing.

[Political Aside: Thus, we can see why the Bush Administration considers thinking to be counterproductive to their policies.]

For example, I'm the oldest in my family, with two younger sisters, Tracey and Mary Ann. Tracey, however, is not the middle child. Because Mary Ann was born when I was 17, Tracey spent 14 years as the youngest child, being spoiled by her parents and her older brother. Then, by the time Mary Ann was 2, I had been off to BYU and then off on a mission to France and Belgium, so Tracey had become the oldest child in the family by the time she was 15 or so. Mary Ann, of course, has always been the youngest child, but she shows no negative signs of having been spoiled by everyone. Also, I'm not ashamed to say that my sisters are both smarter than I am. My mom always gets after me when I say this, but it's true: I'm the dumb one in my family.

Kate, the oldest of my children, takes after me quite a bit, but she doesn't think she's superior(just bossier as the "game master" in the sibling hierarchy) to her younger brothers. Travis, the middle child, takes after his mother, another middle child, but he, again like her, has an emotional and empathetic IQ that's off the charts with a drive that won't quit. Jack, the youngest, came along 9 years after Travis, so he got the undivided attention of four people. For example, he crawled and walked late because he could always get someone to carry him around. Now he's the family expert on classical and early British literature.

In short, when it comes to my family, all these birth-order studies get turned on their heads and their privileging of the first born gets undercut.

And don't get me started on scriptural precedents and how many times the oldest son forfeited the birthright to a younger, more deserving brother. In fact, for the past ten years I've been rotating the birthright yearly with my sisters, thinking that it's better to have it every third year than to lose it altogether because of unrighteousness or incompetence.

Now, with Clarkwell on the horizon, I'm starting to worry that he won't get the same attention that Luke received. However, I'm encouraged by two things: 1) Luke's relationship with "Baby Hamilton," as he calls him, is warm and attentive and quiet and gentle, so I assume it'll be the same way with his little brother, even though there may be a little jealousy. 2) Heidi says that Clarkwell is even more active in utero than Luke was, so I'm thinking he'll hold his own once he's born.

Nevertheless, I'm planning on spoiling him not one whit less than I've spoiled Luke, birth order theory be darned. (Sorry, but I didn't want to write "damned" in case Hamilton reads this post).

6 comments:

jackie boy said...

Very clever daddy-o. I'm sure game-master Kate will relish the reading of it. I myself would like to make a case for the younger child, but I know if I do I will get a barrage of "you have it so much easier than we did..." from anyone who has a younger sibling.

heidi said...

I think I read one of the same birth order studies (was it recently put out by BYU?), and vowed to give equal attention to Clarkwell as I have Luke. And I hope to continue the Snyder trend of turning studies and statistics on their heads. I also figure between all of us, there is more than enough love and attention to go around.

kate said...

Hmmm...I'm not sure I "relished" reading this post because...

1. the "Freudian slip" transition: "I'm the dumb one in my family.

Kate, the oldest of my children, takes after me quite a bit..."

Thanks, Dad...

2. I actually read this post aloud to Hamilton while he was sitting on my lap...so he both saw and heard that curse word. Lucikly, he'll get far more attention than any other siblings he may have, so he should be able to recover from the shock.

phillip said...

Kato--It wasn't exactly a Freudian slip. I knew that the parallelism you pointed out was there for the critiquing. I didn't think it would take you very long to jump on it.

[Aside to Kate: Strategically granting our younger siblings a slight edge in intelligence only cements our positions as the most powerful. Unlike Stalin or Mao, we don't have to get rid of all the intellectuals to feel secure.]

racetri.com said...

Interesting thoughts.

I guess it's my turn to jump in as a somewhat legitimate "middle child"

*This line of thought initiated by an oldest child is, in and of itself, a leadership initiative.

*In addition, all the talk about the eldest being lesser echoes certain scriptures about the best being last etc. to truly take their place as the first.

*Lastly, to the two "oldest siblings" out there, maybe middle and last children are happy in their positions. We're really not insecure about you being our bosses and superiors in virtually every way:)

kate said...

Dad...I didn't disagree with the telling transition...I'm just not ready to broadcast my brothers' superiority quite so broadly.