Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Blog: The Resurrection of "Squared Away"

It seems I've been blogging like some people go to church: every Christmas and Easter.

However, my children have been hard at work reactivating me, and I've promised to repent of my backsliding starting now.

Yesterday we had a traditional Easter dinner: leg of lamb, Easter (aka Funeral, Relief Society) potatoes, green beans, homemade rolls, and strawberry shortcake (thanks to Heidi). We had Tracey, Jack, Kristin, Travis, Heidi, Luke, and Kathryn in addition to Delys, Marissa, and me. Because a number of us are watching our diets (Travis and Kristin leading the way), we didn't have lots of Easter candy (although Travis did smell himself a few truffles, giving new meaning to the phrase "aroma therapy").

Luke ate a good dinner--he seemed to like the lamb especially well--so his mother gave the two of us permission to have an Easter egg hunt. I put little wrapped chocolate eggs inside some plastic eggs and then hid them for Luke to find. On the second round, I put some green beans inside one egg instead of the chocolate just to see what he'd do. We all watched with curiosity as he opened the egg hiding the green beans. He took a look and then exclaimed, "Hmmm . . . green beans," and then just popped them in his mouth and proceeded to eat them. Tip for getting little kids to eat their food: put everything in Easter eggs.

7 comments:

Treidi said...

I am crying right now with sheer joy and elation.

A scripture comes to mind...

"Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing—unto such it is given to know the mysteries (blogs included) of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to reveal things which never have been revealed; yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance, even as it has been given unto us to bring these our brethren to repentance.

And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth!

Welcome home prodigal "squared away"!

heidi said...

I'm definitely going to use the easter egg tip. And it can double as colorful tuperware!

kate said...

YEA!!!!!!

YIPPEEEE!!!!!!

OHHHH MYYYYY GOOOODNESS!!!!

kate said...

OK, now that I've calmed down a bit, let me proceed to my comment...

Solid post, Dad. Blogging is like riding a bike...you don't forget how. What a wonderful grandpa you are. I like hearing you and Luke stories...I still remember how hard he ditched me as a playing partner once you showed up. Hamilton will no doubt shove me aside (as soon as his little arms are strong enough) to play with you as well...I can't wait.

I love you Dad...welcome back! :)!

kate said...

Sorry, it's me again...

I always enjoy a little freedom with Hamilton's naptime, but this morning has been truly wonderful. Thank you for blogging again. Your kids will never be too old to need you. Thank you for all the comments...can't wait to find more. Now on to the mom/housewife duties I have during naptime...

phillip said...

As I recall, Kato, Luke ditched me for you. I'm just hoping to be in the mix with Luke and Hamilton and the rest of the grandsons. Remember, as Dave Letterman always says with regard to Stupid Human Tricks, "This is not a competition, but an exhibition."

phillip said...

As I recall, Kato, Luke ditched me for you. I'm just hoping to be in the mix with Luke and Hamilton and the rest of the grandsons. Remember, as Dave Letterman always says with regard to Stupid Human Tricks, "This is not a competition, but an exhibition."