Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hackers

I find it rather intimidating when the hackers writer funnier and better blogs than the bloggers do.

I also find it both comforting and disheartening to have a son who knows me so well.

Touche, Travis. (All you readers will have to supply the accent on the e in touche.)

I finally have something political for Marc. I spent an hour with Chief Justice John Roberts this morning (with about 10,000 or so other people) at BYU's forum address. He gave a good talk on the constitution and the separation of powers with some nice Utah, BYU, and Rex Lee references. (He obviously has an excellent clerk who put everything together for him.) I must confess that I did choke up a little when he said that the role of the judiciary, quoting Hamilton in the Federalist Papers, is to judge, not to exercise will, because in my opinion Chief Justice Roberts has strayed a bit from his reputation as being an advocate of judicial precedent.

While I was hunting around this site trying to figure out how to post something, I ran onto a disturbing window under "profile" that had accounting and Afghanistan listed for me. Then there was another window with a bunch of silhouettes of possible "friends." It gave me the creeps.

I hope none of you are into accounting in Afghanistan. I know the Bush administration isn't.

3 comments:

kate said...

So did you choke up at Hamilton comment because of the content or because you're thinking of your grandson?

Treidi said...

I apologize for knowing you so well... it comes easily though as you are so fun to know!

The accounting and afghanistan are alphabetical options that appear when you don't select anything yourself.

Although I am sure accountants in afghanistan exist?

I think I am getting sick:(

Marc said...

Good times. Read about Justice Roberts' visit. Would have been interesting to hear him. Seems like people threw some good questions his way.

I respect Roberts and like his jurisprudence a whole lot more than, say a Scalia or a Thomas, but I wouldn't want a Roberts replacing any of the moderates/liberals on the current court. He talks of minimalism and building consensus, but doesn't always play the game. He joined a few indefensible decisions last term, and his views on executive power (as per the Hamdan decision he authored as a DC Circuit justice) I find disconcerting.

Anyway... back to more important issues... just what were you doing accounting in Afghanistan?