Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Four Luke Anecdotes

1. A couple Sundays ago we were busily getting ready for a family dinner with the house full of people. I was on table setting duty, but I somehow had neglected to put a knife at Luke's place. As always, he called me on it because he's always insisted on equal treatment with the adults at the dinner table (with the exception of his special John Deere plate). I apologized for my oversight saying that it was my bad. Luke responded very earnestly, "You're not bad. You're Travis's daddy. Remember?"

2. This one comes from Sharleen Nicosia, president of our ward Relief Society. One weekday, we had a ward crisis situation sort of blow up, so Sharleen drove over to the house to see if I was home so I could lend some assistance. She rang the door bell and Luke answered the door. (He, Miles, and Heidi were there working on something while Delys and I were at school.) He said to her, "Hi, you must be looking for my Grandpa Phillip."

3. Last night the Scotts from our ward kindly dropped by some brownies for family home evening. All 10 of them came along and crowded into the house. Luke and company were there for dinner, so he quickly made himself acquainted, especially with Jacob and Linda, two of the youngest Scotts, who had come running up to me for a hug saying, "Bishop, Bishop!" Luke must have felt the need to restore some order, so he got between me and them and said,"I'm Luke. This (pointing to me) is my Grandpa Phillip. He's Travis's daddy." Then off they went to play together.

4. Last night Luke got home from watching his dad play softball around 11:00, so he was tired. They came in through the laundry room, so with the master bedroom door open, Luke could see me in bed reading. Without missing a beat, he kicked off his shoes, took off his jacket, grabbed two of his favorite books from my childhood that we read together, jumped into bed with me, pulled up the covers, and said, "First, let's read Jack's Adventure. Then we can read The Little Cowboy's Christmas." Later he told Heidi, who had come to check on him, that he was sleeping there that night. Sure enough, he fell asleep right there, although this morning he woke up at Tracey's place. I don't think he'll even remember his dad gathering him up to take him out to the car or the ride to Eagle Mountain. Luke is a deep, deep sleeper.

1 comment:

kate said...

I was just feeling nostalgic about Luke today (thinking of how Hamilton is the same as age as Luke was when I got married), so this blog entry was perfect! On the down side though, it makes me wish we lived a lot closer. :(

Sorry I missed your call...Hambone and I were at Disneyland--a perk of not living close. :)